One week ago...

I watched my daughter have a 20 minute seizure. On vacation. In the middle of the night.

I feel like I've been living in a fog for the last week and even though she fully recovered, I'm not sure I'll recover so quickly.

It was like an out of body experience and one I hope to never feel again.

She had been asleep about an hour when I went to check on her and found her still awake. She was looking off to the right and then started throwing up. I ran her to the bathroom where she threw up again and then became unresponsive. She would only look to the right and would only turn her head to the right.

I went to get mom and she took one look at her and said we needed to get our friend Amy who was a nurse. Amy took one look at her and said she was having a seizure and to call 911.

I can't even remember all of the things that happened next but I know it was totally chaotic. We were screaming at her, throwing water on her, tickling her, pinching her and still getting no response. I might have had a panic attack during the 7 minutes until the paramedics arrived.

I would estimate they worked on her maybe 5 minutes still trying to get her to respond. They decided to start an IV and as soon as the needle touched her, Reese started responding. I was so, so relieved. She rolled over and started sucking her thumb. They told us to be prepared for us to be transferred to the Children's Hospital in Pensacola and it could be 3 days. Brandon went and dumped Reese's entire drawer of clothes into his bag lol.

We rode in the ambulance to the ER in San Destin and by the time we arrived, she was telling the doctor her name, age, who her best friends were, and how she hunted crabs.

They eventually did a CT scan and blood work which were all normal. Praise God!!! We were discharged about 4:15 am and she slept until 7:00 that morning. Like nothing ever happened! I, unfortunately have not slept a full night since that night. :)

We had a follow up apt on Monday and she was officially diagnosed with having a Focal Point Seizure, also called a Partial Seizure, as it only affects one side of their brain. We are just watching her right now. The statistics tell us that it is likely she will have another one, but we trust in a God who cares nothing about statistics!

She does appear to have a few behavioral changes, which are normal, esp when you're 3 and coming back from a vacation! ;). We are praying that with a couple weeks of her normal routine and schedule, she will be totally back to normal! We understand that her brain has gone through a trauma and I'm doing my best to remain very patient with her!

Although I wish this would have never happened, I could feel the prayers and saw His hand throughout the whole event and we are so, so thankful that our prayers were answered and our precious girl is playing dress up as I type this. What a mighty God we serve!

PS I'll post pics from the beach soon!

Now. This mama needs a vacation after that vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment